There are many dark and depraved incidents happening in Baldur’s Gate 3. One of these is a murder mystery during the third act, and you need to find out who the real culprit is. Our Baldur’s Gate 3 Open Hand Temple Murders guide discusses this quest, as well as all the important clues that you need to discover.
- How to solve the Open Hand Temple Murders in Baldur’s Gate 3
- Clues and Corpses
- How to Reach the Tunnels Underneath the Temple
- Where to Use the Flower Key
How to solve the Open Hand Temple Murders in Baldur’s Gate 3
To solve the Baldur’s Gate 3 Open Hand Temple Murders quest, you need to find the list of assassination targets. However, this requires a bit of patience, since you have to explore several sections of Rivington. The village of Rivington itself is a place that you won’t be able to reach until you’re in Act 3.
Upon arriving, you’ll hear rumors that the head priest, Father Lorgan, has been killed by a novice named Brilgor. An investigator, Valeria, is already convinced of this, but something seems to be amiss. Talk to the priestess and she’ll tell you that there might still be a few clues left behind.
Clues and Corpses
There are several clues that you can find as part of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Open Hand Temple Murders quest. Here are some examples:
- Inside the novice quarters, you’ll see several beds and chests. Use a lockpick to open the one in the middle and grab the loot. Your character will remark that there’s a hidden compartment, which lets you pick up a book. Read it to learn more about Father Lorgan.
- You can use the Speak with Dead spell on Father Lorgan’s corpse. Ask him about who killed him and where he died.
- Alternatively, you can go to the graveyard behind the temple. There’s a mound of dirt that you can unearth with your shovel, revealing Brilgor’s coffin. Hit the coffin to destroy it, and cast Speak with Dead on Brilgor’s corpse.
- By talking to the recently deceased, you’ll learn that they died in the tunnels underneath the temple, and that their killer is a Dwarf wearing red clothing.
How to Reach the Tunnels Underneath the Temple
Your goal now is to look for the aforementioned tunnels. There are two paths that lead to it:
- If you’re in the temple, use the hatch in the kitchen. This will take you to an underground altar room. Pass a Perception check to reveal two buttons, one behind each heraldic crest on the wall. Press these to open a hidden door. Also, don’t forget to complete the Help the Cursed Monk quest while you’re here.
- You can also go down the well across the street from the temple. Down below, you can jump on the rocks, then shoot the winch to reach the exit. This takes you to the shoreline at the base of the cliffs. To your left, you’ll find a cave mouth.
Regardless of the path you chose, you’ll end up battling several shapeshifters. Take them out and examine the corpses to obtain the following quest items:
- A Flower Key with the number 10.
- Stillmaker, a very rare dagger that’s also the murder weapon that was used.
- A Clown’s Severed Torso, which is part of the Find Dribbles the Clown quest.
Where to Use the Flower Key
The next step in the Baldur’s Gate 3 Open Hand Temple Murders quest is to find out where we can use the Flower Key that we just obtained. You’ll want to do the following:
- Follow the main street and head to the crossing. You’ll be stopped by guards, including a giant sentry.
- You can pretend to be someone else by giving a fake name. The sentry seems to recognize you, but it still says that there are no incriminating records. You’ll be allowed to pass through.
- Past the archway, look to your left to see Fraygo’s Flophouse. Look for a door that lets you enter, or lockpick the one at the back.
Once inside, check the small room on the top floor. If you interact with the dresser, it’s revealed to be a hidden passageway to a bedroom. Check the bedroom for clues, such as another corpse, a Flower Key with the number 5, and various parchments. One of these is a list of assassination targets.
Upon reading the list, you can report your findings to Inspector Valeria. You’ll find her in the Sharess Caress tavern just across from the flophouse. If convinced, Valeria will give you a Lower City Pass, and you’ll be asked to report to another authority figure. That’s a story for another time. For now, though, you’ve just completed the Solve the Open Hand Temple Murders quest in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.