You’ll meet many companions early in your Baldur’s Gate 3 journey. The last one that can potentially join your squad is Minsc, a returning character from the previous games. However, there are a few things that are required before he happily buddies up with you. Our Baldur’s Gate 3 Minsc guide discusses how you can recruit him, as well as his hamster Boo, later in the game. Likewise, please be reminded that this article contains spoilers.
- How to Recruit Minsc in Baldur’s Gate 3
- Minsc Location: Abandoned Cistern Puzzle in the Sewers
- Sewer Battle: How to Keep Minsc Alive
- How to Restrict the Absolute’s Mind Control
- Minsc as a Companion
How to Recruit Minsc in Baldur’s Gate 3
The Baldur’s Gate 3 Minsc recruitment method happens much later, specifically during the game’s third act. Here’s a quick summary of how we progressed in the campaign:
- During Act 2, we made sure to recruit and keep Jaheira alive. Then, in Act 3, she gave us The High Harper companion quest.
- As you advance, do the necessary objectives, such as encountering the Harper traitors and entering the Counting House Vault.
- It’s revealed that Minsc has been “tadpoled,” and is a thrall of the Absolute. He, alongside a shapeshifting Jaheira, manage to escape to the sewers.
Minsc Location: Abandoned Cistern Puzzle in the Sewers
Later, you’ll have to explore the Lower City’s sewers while you’re looking for Orin the Red. Regardless of the passage that you took, you’ll want to head all the way to the west. The coordinates are: X = -203, Y = 867.
There, you’ll come across the Abandoned Cistern valve puzzle. The goal is to raise both the water and temperature to their optimal levels. Before you continue, make sure you have a backup save.
In any case, here’s how we solved the Baldur’s Gate 3 Abandoned Cistern valve puzzle:
- Select only one character and have them stand in front of the water valve. Click on it once. The level on the gauge will rise slowly, as you’ll see on the object’s name (i.e. it’s like a timed “buff” of sorts).
- After roughly five seconds, move to the temperature gauge and click on it once. The temperature rises a bit faster.
- Because of the right timing, both should hit their optimal levels at the same time, causing the sluice gate to open.
- Note that if the water and temperature controls reach their maximum level, they’ll cause damage to your characters. Water will jet out of the pump, pushing away your character. Meanwhile, the temperature will cause an explosion in a small area.
- There’s also a sluice valve to the left, which requires you to pass an Athletics check. We’ve tried this with a 20 STR companion, but it didn’t work.
Sewer Battle: How to Keep Minsc Alive
Before you attempt to recruit Minsc in Baldur’s Gate 3, you’ll have to battle him and his cohorts. Again, keep a backup save just in case. Here’s what you need to watch out for during the fight:
- You must incapacitate Minsc by landing a non-lethal attack as your final blow. To do this, check the Passives tab in your action bar, and select Toggle Non-Lethal Attacks. This can only be done if you’re using a melee weapon or unarmed attacks.
- Minsc must not be killed via normal attacks or spells. Otherwise, Jaheira will leave your party for good.
- Minsc’s teammates include a Jaheira shapeshifter and several thugs. A couple are also perched on higher ledges.
How to Restrict the Absolute’s Mind Control
After defeating all hostiles and dropping Minsc with a non-lethal attack, there will be a dialogue sequence. Jaheira wants to save him, but the Emperor Mindflayer thinks he’s too chaotic and would disrupt your plans. Choose the following replies if you want to recruit Minsc in Baldur’s Gate 3:
- “Try to protect him. I must defy my urge.”
- “He’s Jaheira’s friend. Do it.”
- “I don’t think you want to find out,” or “It doesn’t matter–help him.”
Choosing the above responses will make the Emperor Mindflayer shield Minsc’s mind from the Absolute’s control. Shortly thereafter, Minsc will start bashing the cistern walls. Follow him and you’ll be introduced to his hamster, Boo. You can then have the two join your party permanently.
Minsc as a Companion
Once Minsc is part of your team, you’ll see that he has the Folk Hero background. Moreover, he’ll be reset to level 1, though he has enough XP to reach the level 12 cap. He’s also a Ranger by default, with proficiencies in most armors and weapons. Still, you can always do a class respec if you want. Alternatively, you can take a look at our Ranger guide to see some viable build options.
This fella is quite silly, often relying on his hamster’s ideas. He also shares information about his past, notably when he fought alongside Jaheira and the Bhaalspawn (i.e. the player’s character from the previous game). Likewise, he has hilarious views about some of your other teammates.
Lastly, don’t forget that Minsc has been “tadpoled,” which means he can be persuaded to gain newfound Illithid Powers. The first set of dialogue responses about this topic will lead to his refusal. However, another option will appear, where you can convince him to use the Astral-Touched Tadpole to receive high-tier abilities.
In any case, that’s how you recruit Minsc in Baldur’s Gate 3. It’s been a long and winding road, but you should have most companions with you at this stage.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.